Dec 7, 2016 Minutes
Minutes of the Board Meeting
RSU #74 Board of Directors
Wednesday, December 7, 2016
At Carrabec Community School
Bobbi Sue Harrington, Chair, called the meeting to order at 6:01p.m.
Directors Present: Robert Demchak, Tammy Murray, G.Wayne Rugh, Dulcie Welch, Dwight Barron, Patrick Daubenberger, Kevin Sousa, Annette Folco, Bobbi Sue Harrington, Heather Hilenski, Laura Layman, Deron Whittemore, Troy Dunphy, and Leslie Giroux
Directors absent with notification:
Directors Absent without notification: Dana Beaulieu
Staff Members Present: 9
Students Present: 2
Citizens Present: 1
Agenda Item #1 TO SEE IF THE BOARD WILL VOTE TO APPROVE THE MINUTES OF THE REGULAR BOARD MEETING OF NOVEMBER 2, 2016 .
Upon motion by G. Wayne Rugh and seconded by Dwight Baron the Board voted by unanimous consent to approve Minutes of the Regular Board Meeting of November 2, 2016. .
Agenda Item #2 STUDENT PRESENTATIONS:
Mr. Reichenbach had two students that presented some art pieces that they had made with clay. Mr. Reichenbach had dug the clay up himself in Maine and brought it in for the children to use.
Agenda Item #3 REPORTS:
A.) Superintendent’s Report
1) Collaboration Meeting
2) 2017 Trek Across Maine Rest Stop at Garret Schenck
Dustin Zamboni – CCS Basketball Coach
4) Appointments and recent Staff Hiring:
Marc Collard – High School Math Teacher
B.) Administrator Reports
Written Reports were mailed to Board Members and are available online at www.msad74.org
The Administrative Team met on November 15, 2016 – minutes in packet
The Building /Grounds meeting did not meet in November, but will meet on December 14, 2016.
D.) Adjustments to the Agenda
Eliminated Agenda Item #10 from executive session for the purpose of discussing negotiations with SAD #59, Madison, to share a Superintendent of Schools added agenda Item #10 the reading of policies DJH and DKC.
Agenda Item #8 was moved up to be after agenda item #6.
Agenda Item #4 CITIZENS COMMENT ON AGENDA ITEMS
Agenda Item #5 TO APPROVE CCS AS A RED CROSS REGIONAL EMERGENCY SHELTER.
Upon motion by Patrick Daubenberger and seconded by Robert Demchak the Board voted by unanimous consent to approve.
Agenda Item # 6 TO AUTHORIZE THE ADMINISTRATION OF THE SCHOOL CLIMATE SURVEY AS ACTIVITY OF PBIS PROJECT IN GRADES 3-8.
Upon motion by Patrick Daubenberger and seconded by Tammy Murray the Board voted by unanimous consent to authorize the administrations of the school climate survey as activity of PBIS project in grades 3-8.
Agenda Item #7 TO ENTER EXECUTIVE SESSION FOR THE PURPOSE OF DISCUSSING BOARD/SUPERINTENDENT RELATIONS AS PROVIDED FOR IN MRSA TITLE I, SEC. 405(6A).
Upon motion by Patrick Daubenberger and seconded by Troy Dunphy the Board voted by unanimous consent to enter into executive session at 6:39pm. Returned to regular session at 7:00pm.
Agenda Item #8 TO ENTER EXECUTIVE SESSION FOR THE PURPOSE OF DISCUSSING NEGOTIAIONS WITH THE TEACHER ASSOCIATION AS PROVIDED FOR IN MRSA TITLE 1, SEC. 405(6D).
Upon motion by Robert Demchak and seconded by Patrick Daubenberger the Board voted by unanimous consent to enter into executive session at 7:03pm. Returned to regular session at 7:30pm.
Completing all agenda items, the items below were discussed:
1. There was discussion about Madison sharing a Superintendent with us. Madison does not feel comfortable sharing a Superintendent for the next year.
2. Drummond Woodsum overtime rules that were supposed to be in effect in December will not be implemented at this time.
3. There was talk about having students in the Board Meetings. This will be looked into to see what the policy and rules around it are and will be discussed at the January Board Meeting.
4. Laura Layman brought up discussion about the Solon School and the pigeon problem. This will be discussed further in the Building/Grounds Committee meeting on December 14.
5. Dulcie Welch mentioned that the 6th grade boys were not allowed to play on the basketball team with the 7th and 8th grade boys. After discussing it was decided that policy will be looked up and it will be discussed again.
Agenda Item #14 Adjournment
The Chair declared the meeting adjourned at 7:30 pm.