Minutes Nov 2, 2016
Minutes of the Board Meeting
RSU #74 Board of Directors
Wednesday, November 2, 2016
At Garret Schenck
Bobbi Sue Harrington, Chair, called the meeting to order at 6:01p.m.
Directors Present: Dana Beaulieu, Robert Demchak, Tammy Murray, G.Wayne Rugh, Dulcie Welch, Dwight Barron, Patrick Daubenberger, Kevin Sousa, Annette Folco, Bobbi Sue Harrington, Heather Hilenski, Laura Layman, and Deron Whittemore
Directors absent with notification:
Directors Absent without notification: Troy Dunphy and Leslie Giroux
Staff Members Present: 11
Students Present: 3
Citizens Present: 2
Agenda Item #1 TO SEE IF THE BOARD WILL VOTE TO APPROVE THE MINUTES OF THE REGULAR BOARD MEETING OF .
Upon motion by Dwight Barron and seconded by Dana Beaulieu the Board voted by unanimous consent to approve Minutes of the Regular Board Meeting of October 5, 2016. .
Agenda Item #2 STUDENT PRESENTATIONS:
Mrs. Pearson-Belanger and three of her 4th-5th grade students talked about some art work after recently having an author visit the school. The students asked about what could be seen in the pictures and asked about what was going on. They did great presenting in front of everyone and representing the Garret Schenck Elementary School.
Agenda Item #3 REPORTS:
A.) Superintendent’s Report
1) Bids for cleaning the gym and construction of the wall have been opened
2) Adult Ed
3) CHS Sign is up
4) Fume hood for chem. Lab ordered
5) New labor law rules regarding overtime pay
6) Finance Committee meeting
7) Dropout Rate
8) Alternative Ed students
9) October 1st student count
10) The annual Fall Conference MSMA was held Oct. 27th and 28th
11) SIG application
12) SRO Program with Somerset Sheriff’s Office
13) Administrator’s evaluation tool
Luke Ellis – Math Teacher/Boys Tennis Coach
15) Appointments and recent Staff Hiring:
Chuck Glidden – JV Boys Basketball Coach
Kirk Robinson – Cobra Power Director Coach
Lauren Bean – JV Girls Basketball Coach
Coady Richardson – Ed Tech
B.) Administrator Reports
Written Reports were mailed to Board Members and are available online at www.msad74.org
The Finance Committee met on October 12, 2016 – minutes in packet
The Policy Committee met on October 19, 2016 – minutes in packet
D.) Adjustments to the Agenda
Added agenda item #9A. DC trip
Agenda Item #4 CITIZENS COMMENT ON AGENDA ITEMS
Agenda Item #5 TO SEE IF THE BOARD WILL APPROVE T O AMMEND POLICIES: GCGA (SUB TEACHER PAY) AND GDAI (BUS DRIVER LIFTING).
Upon motion by Bobbi Sue Harrington and seconded by Patrick Daubenberger the Board voted by unanimous consent to approve the changes.
Agenda Item # 6 TO APPROVE FIRST READING OF POLICY DJH (PROCUREMENT) AND POLICY DKC (EXPENSE REIMBURSEMENT).
Upon motion by Robert Demchak and seconded by Dana Beaulieu the Board voted by unanimous consent to approve the first reading.
Agenda Item #7 TO AUTHORIZE THE SUPERINTENDENT TO RE-APPLY FOR A SCHOOL IMPROVEMENT GRANT FOR THE GARRET SCHENCK SCHOOL WHICH HAS BEEN IDENTIFIED AS A PRIORITY SCHOOL.
Upon motion by Deron Whittemore and seconded by Robert Demchak the Board voted by unanimous consent to authorize the re-application.
Agenda Item #8 TO AUTHORIZE THE HIGH SCHOOL TO SCHEDULE 2017 GRADUATION FOR JUNE 9, 2017 AT 7PM.
Upon motion by Robert Demchak and seconded by Dana Beaulieu the Board voted by unanimous consent to approve the date.
Agenda Item # 9 TO AUTHORIZE THE HIGH SCHOOL JMG TRIP TO WASHINGTON, D.C. ON NOVEMBER 11TH – 13TH.
Upon motion by Dana Beaulieu and seconded by Dwight Barron the Board voted by unanimous consent to
approve the trip.
Agenda Item #9A TO AUTHORIZE THE MODEL STATE PROGRAM SPONSORED BY THE YMCA.
Upon motion by Dana Beaulieu and seconded by Deron Whittemore the Board voted unanimous consent to approve the trip.
Agenda Item #10 TO AUTHORIZE THE SUPERINTENDENT TO ENTER INTO AN AGREEMENT WITH THE SOMERSET SHERIFF’S DEPARTMENT TO PROVIDE A SCHOOL RESERVE OFFICER THIS YEAR.
Upon motion by Deron Whittemore and seconded by Dana Beaulieu the Board voted unanimous consent to approve that the Somerset Sheriff’s Department provide a School Reserve Officer this year.
Agenda Item #11 TO AUTHORIZE THE BOSTON COLLEGE TRIP ON NOVEMBER 3RD AND 4TH.
Upon motion by Dana Beaulieu and seconded by Dwight Barron the Board voted unanimous consent to approve the trip.
Completing all agenda items, the items below were discussed:
1. There was a reminder about the FOAA training and certification for all Board Members.
2. Dulcie Welch and Laura Leeman volunteered to be on the Drop Out Committee and the board voted unanimous to approve.
3. Scott Lehay spoke about the School Bus update, and the fact that Bus #7 was down because it did not pass inspection. They remapped some of the busing routes, and it seems to be going well.
4. There was discussion about Bobbi Sue Harrington meeting with the Madison School Board to get policies aligned with other districts. Patrick Daubenberger and Tammy Murray were nominated and a unanimous consent was made for approval.
5. Bobbi Sue Harrington also would like to start reciting the Pledge of Allegiance before every Board Meeting. She would also like there to be record of who voted on the winning side of a motion.
Agenda Item #14 Adjournment
The Chair declared the meeting adjourned at 7:21 pm.