From: Mike Tracy, Superintendent
To: RSU # 74 School Board
A. Current Legal Update:
II. Governance / Policy:
A. Current Local Update:
1. Next REGULAR RSU #74 Board Meeting is scheduled for August 9th at 6:00 pm.
2. Building and Grounds Subcommittee meeting scheduled for September 2nd, 4:30 pm.
3. Academic Subcommittee meeting is scheduled for September 9th, 5:00 pm. -added
4. Policy Subcommittee meeting is scheduled for September 23rd, 6:00 pm.
B. a. MSMA Updates:
MSMA has been working with the DOE and the Governor's office on responses and school start up information including. The information can be found at the following link: https://www.maine.gov/doe/covid-19/toolkit
The Maine School Boards Association and the Maine School Superintendents Association is pleased to announce the Cultural Competence Institute (CCI) for all Maine educators, presented by Lawrence Alexander from Carney Sandoe and Associates Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Practice Group.
An Overview of the Cultural Competence Institute for Maine Educators The Cultural Competence Institute Vision: The CCI will be an interactive year-long program that will cover topics essential to:
· Developing a deep understanding of creating a culture of inclusion
· Developing brave spaces for conversations about race in our schools
· Creating a cultural connection for students and parents
· Creating a sustainable practice for diversity, equity and inclusion in our schools
· Guiding policy development in school districts
· Recruiting, hiring and retaining faculty of color Participants will participate in an 8 month series of 90 minute professional development modules that will end in a CCI certification. This certification will allow participants to: · Lead more effectively with cultural competence and cultural empathy
· Develop practical skills for strategic planning for racial equity and justice work
· Develop professional development for School Districts related to DEI goals
· Develop sustainable practice for DEI work in School Districts This certificate will have three distinct leadership tracks: 1) Teachers, Guidance Counselors and Social Workers 2) District Administrators and Building Principals 3) Superintendents and School Boards The CCI Inaugural Event (FREE): An overview of CCI for School Board members and Superintendents is scheduled for Wednesday, August 26th from 6:00-7:30 p.m. This event is free, but pre registration is required.
C. Legislative Update:
D. Policy Update:
Mr. Tracy is participating in a Drummond Woodsum series regarding the new Title IX updates. All applicable policies will need to be updated.
III. Budget and Finance:
A. State Level:
B. Finance Local:
Our audit went well, we had two cost centers where the district overspent (this is not a typical), they will need to be manually corrected by the School Board vote at the next meeting. Mr. Tracy will explain the rationale for this at the meeting as well. In short, the legal fees exceeded the budgeted amounts, as well as elementary instruction due to salary and benefit costs.
A. Back to School Planning Efforts:
We continue to be working on back to school plans and have been, the facilities and transportation crews are getting buildings and busses ready. We are also excited to bring our teacher in for training during the last week in August.
B. Food Service:
We continue to be working on things such as grab and go breakfast planning, and how we are going to offer and serve typical school lunch and also offer the next day’s breakfast and lunch as a “take home meal.” - Although these are uncharted waters, we are proud of the school nutrition team across the district.
C. Facilities and Transportation Department:
Building and Grounds committee are meeting on the 2nd, and Ms. Agren will have a verbal update for the board.
D. Central Office:
I would like to take a quick moment to thank the central office, the staff including Linda, Carla, Tammy and Nicki. This team has worked to keep the business of the district running, while many others are on (a well deserved) summer vacation. This team has worked to get 150 PPE gear packets ready for the district staff, we have had hundred of masks, rubber gloves, face shields and gowns carefully counted into gallon ziploc -although these are NOT the typical friendly “welcome back” packets, they do meet the required PPE equipment that is required by the state to reopen.
V. Academics and Instruction:
1. Carrabec Community School -Mr. Mahoney to report.
2. Garret Schenck Elementary School - Ms. Butler to report.
3. Solon Elementary School- Ms. Butler to report.
4. Carrabec High School -Mr. Richards to report.
District Steering Committee:
The district Steering committee which is composed of the district Administrative Team, and a team of teachers will be meeting to address the needs of this year’s evaluation struction, and how remote learning will affect it.
Back to School Plan (google Classroom and Seesaw) Update:
As of the writing of this report, the student registrations have only added to about 150 (out of our 600+ students). Mr. Tracy has prompted more with a Facebook request and parent call asking for more participation. The online registrations system is new this year for ALL students. We continue to train teachers, and are working on Remote learning protocols. Mr. Tracy plans to give a more formal update at the Special Board meeting on September 16th. We also are planning to have a few teachers update us with Google Classroom and Seesaw on that evening.